GAP’s Guide to … Developing Positive Relationships
Positive working relationships are the key to a successful and efficient professional environment. Here are Bobby’s 10 Top Tips to developing those relationships:
- Offer something before asking for something.
- Assign time to develop and maintain these relationships – keep in touch calls and emails, ask a colleague out for lunch or quick coffee, and attend networking events.
- Recognise your own emotions and understand what they’re telling you.
- Show your appreciation whenever someone helps you and genuinely compliment the people around you when they do something well.
- Be positive as no-one wants to be around someone who’s negative all the time.
- Focus on listening more than you talk, and you’ll quickly become known as someone who can be trusted.
- Get to know people on a personal level. Learn more about each other’s story, family and professional history.
- Give them access to your network by making introductions and referrals. They will reciprocate linking you up with their contacts.
- Learn to give and take feedback. Feedback will help them to fulfil their potential and you will be able to tap into your blindspots.
- Develop empathy and understanding so you can see where others are coming from and this may offer a new approach.